My nighttime skincare routine is vastly different than my daytime skincare routine, as it should be. I go into detail about my daytime skincare regimen in this post, and it also covers other anti-aging and acne skincare needs. My main concern with my nighttime skincare routine is to use anti-aging products I normally wouldn’t use during the day due to the nature of the products.
However, I also want to reap the benefits of nighttime skin product absorption. Your skin absorbs products better at night, so sometimes I will use acne products in lieu of anti-aging. For this reason, I alternate some products and use them every other night. Let’s dive in!
Nighttime Skincare Routine for Acne-Prone Skin
Cleansing + Exfoliation
Included in this is exfoliation. There are two types of exfoliators: physical and chemical. I’ll indicate them below.
- Most days I don’t wear makeup (perks of working from home). If I do, I double-cleanse. I first use this inexpensive cleansing balm to remove the top layer of makeup and massage it in with my hands. Then I “double cleanse” with my Rodan + Fields sulfur acne wash and scrub it away with my Clarisonic (physical exfoliation).
- Every other night, I will nix the Clarisonic and use an exfoliating, pore-declogging cleanser. Ever since I received my October BoxyCharm I have been hooked with the Dr. Brandt Poredermabrasion cleanser! After the first use, my pores looked less noticeable. This cleanser is a physical exfoliant as well as a mild chemical exfoliant.
Please note that I will not use a chemical exfoliant on the same night as I use a physical exfoliant. For this reason, I will alternate the nights I use my Clarisonic and the Poredermabrasion product.
A few times a week I will use the Peter Thomas Roth therapeutic sulfur acne treatment mask. It has made such a difference in controlling hormonal acne. With continued dedication, I rarely have breakouts anymore, but when I do this mask helps shrink the bumps that appear through makeup.
Toning and moisturizing make such a huge difference to my skin! I used to think that they were just marketing gimmicks, but for oily acne-prone skin these products are a must. Toners take off leftover dead skin cells and stubborn makeup residue. And, since my skin is so oily, I find that moisturizing at night helps reduce the grease production the next day.
- Some nights I like to use the Pixi Glow Tonic exfoliating toner. Most nights I use the toner from my Unblemish regimen. Both are good products, but if I have dark post-acne spots I’ll use the Pixi product and my skin is lighter the next morning.
- The nights I don’t use a toner are the nights I use Peter Thomas Roth Complexion Corrector Pads. Because of the 10% glycolic acid and 2% salicylic acid, these are the nights when I also skip using the Clarisonic. These two ingredients are geared to fight acne but they also have chemical exfoliating qualities (see note above on not combining physical and chemical exfoliants).
Hydration + Serums
- Rodan + Fields sent me a sample of the Advanced Hydration Serum (alternative) in one of replenishment shipments, and I have never looked back. I ordered it immediately and the hydration is insane. Most moisturizers clog my pores, but this hydrating serum plumps my skin, makes my pores look smaller, and basically eliminates fine lines. Best of all, my foundation doesn’t cake as much in the stubborn fine lines that make me feel older.
- It wasn’t until I bought the travel size of the Advanced Night Repair by Estée Lauder that I understood the cult following of this product. Oh em gee. Layer this over the active hydration serum and you will wake up with the skin of a baby!
- To be honest I’m not exactly sure any eye cream has ever reduced my undereye circles (and I’ve sampled several) but I like that Caudalie Resveratrol Lift eye cream has natural grape extracts.
- I received a sample deluxe of Caudalie Resveratrol [LIFT] night infusion cream a few months ago and I have it on my countertop for whenever the weather changes. It helps my pores shrink overnight and it lives up to its name as I can see my skin looking lifted and plump. It also does not break me out and that is HUGE for me!