I am one lucky girl.
You see that up there? That scrumptious meal was prepared for my birthday by the special man in my life. It’s a Mediterranean frittata garnished with balsamic caramelized onions. It was aahhhhmazing!
My husband is a whiz in the kitchen. He can create a spectacular dish out of scraps that leaves you asking for seconds. It doesn’t hurt that he watches the Cooking Channel for fun. I can’t do it. Watching that channel just makes you hungry. Am I right?
This dish was so good that we decided to share it with you.
Caramelized Balsamic Onions
- 3/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
Heat skillet on medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onions.
Add half of the water and balsamic vinegar in equal quantities as it evaporates (but don't let the onions burn!)
Add in the sugar and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp half-and-half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees
- Beat eggs. Add the half-and-half, cheese, chopped vegetables, salt and pepper.
- Grease a 6″ cast iron skillet with olive oil. Pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until puffed up.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with caramelized onions and chopped feta cheese.
- Serve with lime-marinated Hass avocados (optional).